Sweet Tooth

Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Design: Magnolia Bakery Shopping Bag Front
Bag Layout Above
Current: Magnolia Bakery Shopping Bag Front

Hello My Friends,

How has your week been? I'm so happy to be back on my blog!! I feel this big weight lifted off my shoulders now that I have some pretty major projects underway (one of which I'm about to share with you). I mentioned before somewhere on here that my fashion illustration block is preparing for our final graduation show in May. Basically we have double the amount of assignments we usually do and between the 25 students in our section they select the very best work to display. Needless to say we are all feeling the pressure. I feel increasingly torn between wanting to give school my all but also venturing into my post-graduate professional life. I can remember this transition very well from my McGill days, but this time it means so much more.

Our first major assignment for Marcos Oksenhendler was to re-design a shopping bag of our choice. I absolutely loved the project concept because I think it's an incredible way to illustrate (no pun intended) how our major can be applied to the real world. I chose to re-design Magnolia Bakery's shopping bag. Any New Yorker has tried at least one of these famous baked goodies (Miss Carrie Bradshaw and co.) and I happen to be a neighbor of the West Village shop. I walked in casually one day, asked for their shopping bag, and began the reinvention. The current bag design is a little underwhelming to say the least. That gave me so much room to play. I wanted to design something Easter oriented with plenty of color and here it is.

I can't thank-you enough for all your support!! I've received some really kind emails in the last while from some incredible people around the world and I'm just bursting with excitement. I know I just said this all in my video but you can never be too appreciative. Anyways, I have so much planned for Travel Write Draw and can't wait for you to be apart of it.

Lots of love,
Meag xx

14 comments:

  1. I would love to be seen with a shopping bag that gorgeous! Your illustrations are incredible, anyone would be overjoyed to carry around something so beautiful! I say this often about your work but I love the colours, they're so so eye catching, and those beautiful ladies just draw you in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh!! Vanilla I just commented on your blog :) Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for your compliment. I was so unsure about my design and now I feel better. I just felt that a bakery this colorful deserved a bag this colorful. Lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun assignment. Great job as always! Your design is so full of life, the colors are warm and inviting. I agree with Vanilla's comment above.
    PS: You should share this design with the bakery, who knows they might consider it ;)

    Love,
    Aldina
    http://circleofdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful design!
    I would love to meet up when you are in LA! Send me an email when you are around or a bit before so we can figure something out. I will be here for a while, but definitely not permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, the colours!!!!

    keep going. and try to do both. I know how tiring and exhausting this can be, believe me, but it's not going to last forever, and it's all going to be worthwhile one day (it already is). I know you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh so beautiful Meag! Yummy!
    I've gone to the Magnolia Bakery last october when i've come to New York, remember a lot of things! :)

    I hope to comme back on july and i'll think about your illustration when i'll go back there!

    Bises bises!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wonderful design, Meagan! And so chic ;)

    And thank you so much again for the lovely comments on the posts of my trip to Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your design Meag. It's very fashiony but still has that abstract feel you need to illustrate food :-)
    Talk soon, xxx
    M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's what I call a proper representation of nice baked goodies, something that's bursting with colors and draws you in and makes you want to take a peak into that bag, love your desing Meagan, those guys should snap up your design! :)

    Veronika (http://www.constantworkinprogress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done!! That's a good job, it's amazing!!Such an artistic way of Magnolia Bakery ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank-you everyone so much!! I still feel like it's incomplete. I'm working to fix it now so it feels more baked good oriented. Just visited the shop to gather more research and inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job, you have defiantly made it a classy bakery! Best of luck with school and all the assignments, you can do it =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw thanks lady, I certainly hope so ;)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground